Sunday, 18 March 2012
Me and My Polar Bear - Guest Post
Hello, I'm Emily from 'Me and My Polar Bear' and as Katrina's off writing her dissertation, I figured a bit of sugar might be in order. Make that a lot of sugar. And for that, I pretty much always turn to Nigella.....
So for the wondrous sugar overload that is Millionaire's Shortbread, you'll need:
- 225g plain flour
- 75g caster sugar
- 375g unsalted butter
- 379g can sweetened condensed milk
- 4tbsp golden syrup
- 325g chocolate (I used roughly half milk & half dark)
1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
2. Rub together the flour, sugar and 175g of the butter in a bowl until it all comes together into a dough and then press the dough into a lined 23cm square tin. It's a bit messy... Prick it with a fork, cook it for 5 minutes and then lower the oven to 150 degrees and cook for a further 30-40 minutes until pale golden and then leave it to cool.
3. Melt the rest of the butter in the microwave for 2-3 minutes and then add the condensed milk and golden syrup. Whisk it altogether and then put the mixture back in the microwave. Continue to heat it for another 6-7 minutes, checking and stirring it every minute. It's ready once it's thickened and turned a light golden brown - be careful not to go too far & burn it! Once it's done, leave it for a minute or so and then stir it one more time before pouring the molten toffee over the cooled shortbread. Leave it to set.
4. Break the chocolate into pieces and melt it in the microwave. Pour it over the caramel and leave it to set. Putting it in the fridge significantly decreases the wait!!
I hope it turns out as delicious as it should!